Take a few moments to check your own hearing ability using our easy test.
Use the PRINT button on your browser to make a permanent copy!
Give yourself the following points for each answer to the questions below:
- Almost always: 3 points
- Half the time: 2 points
- Occasionally: 1 point
- Never: 0 points
1. I have a problem hearing over the telephone.
2. I have trouble following the conversation when two or more people are talking at the same time.
3. People complain that I turn the TV volume too high.
4. I have to strain to understand conversations.
5. I miss hearing some common sounds like the phone or the doorbell ringing.
6. I have trouble hearing conversations in a noisy background such as a party.
7. I get confused about where sounds come from.
8. I misunderstand some words in a sentence and need to ask people to repeat themselves.
9. I especially have trouble understanding the speech of women and children.
10. I have worked in noisy environments (assembly lines, jackhammers, jet engines, etc.).
11. I hear fine – if people just speak clearly.
12. People get annoyed because I misunderstand what they say.
13. I misunderstand what others are saying and make inappropriate responses.
14. I avoid social activities because I cannot hear well and fear I’ll reply improperly.
To be answered by a family member or friend:
15. Do you think this person has a hearing loss?
16. If you have a blood relative who has a hearing loss, add three points.
Your Total = _____
- 0 – 5 Your hearing is probably fine and no action is required.
- 6 – 9 We suggest that you have your hearing evaluated by an Audiologist.
- 10+ We strongly recommend that you have your hearing evaluated by an Audiologist.